Re: TR6 starting problem

To: british-cars <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 starting problem
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 21:50:13 -0400
At 04:00 PM 8/16/01 -0700, Kevin Brown wrote:

>I pulled the fuel line to the carb and cranked the starter.  Nothing
>came out, totally dry.  I pulled the opposite end which connects to the
>fuel pump and ensured that the line was not clogged.  I pulled the fuel
>line which leads into the fuel pump (from the filter).  If I bent it
>towards the ground, plenty of fuel came flooding out, but if I left it
>in its standard position, nothing came out....

>I pulled the top off the fuel pump and tried to clean the gauze filter
>and sediment out of the inside.  The gauze did not seem to be nearly as
>porous as the picture in my Bentley manual.  I put it all back together
>and cranked the engine again.  Again, no fuel was discharged from the
>fuel line I had disconnected from the carbs.
>
>So, I'm guessing I need to rebuild my fuel pump unless anyone can
>suggest another option.  I remember when the fuel pump went bad on my 68
>Mustang, I just bought a new one for $20 and slapped it on in 10
>minutes.  I might guess it's not quite so simple here.  Once it's done,
>I'll need to drain the bad fuel and add new.

Kevin,

If you got "goes-intos" but no "goes-out-ofs" sure sounds like what's in
the middle to me.

I don't know if you'll have a lot of luck getting a "rebuild" kit.  But
putting the new pump in should be pretty easy.  There are only 2 bolt
holding it on.

Good luck, and glad to see you're making progress.

John

        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org