TR4 weather and MG2001

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 weather and MG2001
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 23:19:12 -0500
Got lucky again.

Weather was pretty good for the Back to the 50s last weekend.  Then all week
we had miserable hot weather with dewpoints in the high 60s.  We were
running the A/C in the house all week.  Saturday was better, but still
pretty darn muggy.  Saturday evening we didn't want to be outside at the
Capital Cruisers, so we drove the Saturn downtown and watched the Taste of
Minnesota fireworks from my office building.  We opened a window in a
conference room (shhh, don't tell building management) so we could see and
hear better.  The north wind was picking up and we felt that relief was in
sight.

The TV weathercasters had promised us the good stuff starting Saturday
night.  They delivered.  We turned off the house A/C Saturday night and
opened the windows.  This morning dawned cool and dry.  There was no dew.  I
cut the grass in the morning.  In the afternoon the temp was 65 and the
dewpoint was 37.  Perfect.  We took TR44SUE to Sherlock's Home for the
Sunday-evening get-together.  Got there fast (I-494), then took it slow,
just like the Beach Boys suggested.  There were MGs, Jags and a really nice
Tiger.  Tommy "Toyota" Schramm was there with his Aussie Moke.

Sherlock's Home serves British food as well as brewing their own
British-style ales.  Sue had bubble and squeak and I had pheasant pie.  On
the way home we drove around both Lake Calhoun and Lake Harriet in
Minneapolis and along Summit Avenue in Saint Paul.  There were thousands of
people out rollerblading and the like.  It was as if the entire metro had
just been released from Humidity Hell.  The breeze through my white hair
felt wonderful, and I was glad Sue talked me into getting her a roadster.
We had young people shout "nice ride" at us.

I fear that MG2001 will not be so fortunate at the beginning of the week.
It is supposed to be stormy tomorrow and maybe Tuesday.  Wednesday is
supposed to be nice, and the rest of the week looks good also.

Wednesday is the day that all British cars are invited to join the
1,600-or-so MGs expected at the fairgrounds.  Not as impressive as the
nearly-10,000 or so cars TR44SUE joined with at the same location last
weekend, but hey, they are all the same marque!  If weather is OK, Sue has
agreed to do the first half of Independence Day at MG2001.  Watch for us, if
you are going to be there.  I have a white river-rafting hat with baseball
bill and if it is sunny, the little cape should be on it.  I have a brass
belt buckle in the shape of PHIL.  My daughter bought it for me for a dime
at a yard sale in Wisconsin.  Tonight I was asked where to get one that says
BILL.  I have no idea...

If you want to call me at MG2001, my cell number is 651-398-6616.  If you
see the Minnesota collector plate TR44SUE, that's our white TR4.

"Kids haven't lost the feeling that the sense of wonder is more important
than wondering what makes sense.  And if that doesn't define what it takes
to like British cars, I don't know what does." -Scott Fisher