FW: British Registration number list

To: "scions (E-mail)" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: British Registration number list
From: "Mitchell, Doug (D.B.)" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 07:30:18 -0500
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 10:14:05 -0800
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Subject: Re: British Registration number list

>www.csm.uwe.ac.uk/~cjwallac/apps/car/carenq

   My registration shows up as not recognized on this site.  From a 1929/30
RAC book the prefix US is Glasgow, I am still trying to get more
information on US 8155 I wrote to The Kithead Trust as someone on this list
suggested last year and they never responded.  I then called them and the
gentlemen I spoke to said they were backlogged and would answer soon.  That
was last June...oh well at least he did confirm that is a valid number for
the years 1933-1935.

    Mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/

Mike,

I just took a look at the site, and found that it doesn't
recognize any registrations numbers with two alphas. If
you go in and look at the source, he even admits that in
the notes. Or at least doesn't recognize any mainland UK
2 alpha numbers. It also seems that the numbers are always
registered as of the date that that series went on sale.

For example, my NOL 77M number is listed as being registered
in August 1973. My DRW 65L is listed as August 1972, but the
car wasn't built until April 1973! 2370LJ is shown as not
a valid number, as is A1. YLB 1G is listed as August 1968,
and DFV 949C as January 1965. These dates are correct as to
when the registration year started, but that's all. I also
just checked some other numbers, and all that happens is
that the program cross references the 3 letters with the
AA/RAC list, and then looks at the single letter to determine
the year. AAA 1A is listed as Bournemouth, but the only area
that got this type of plate the first year was London.

Hope this helps,

Doug

--
Doug Mitchell