Re: Restoring Steering Wheels

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Subject: Re: Restoring Steering Wheels
From: "Eugene D Abbondelo" <eabb@loc.gov>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 14:12:07 -0500
Somehow I remember a thread on this quite a while back and I think one
listmember had success using a 2 part epoxy filler (J-B Weld? or is
this only for metal) and painting;  also, I think someone else said a
kit was available from Eastwood Co. for steering wheel repairs.

Gene
1949 Singer Roadster

>>> <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com> 11/08 3:55 PM >>>
I have a steering wheel for my '55 Alpine that is cracked and the
cracks
have expanded.  Like many other cars, the steering wheel has a metal
ring
running around the inside and it's covered by this plastic/bakelite
type
stuff.  I know there are services that will restore steering wheels
for
something over $300.  Has anyone tackled this themselves?  I was
thinking
something along the lines of spraying in the cracks with a Rustoleum
type
paint and then filling the cracks with bondo and sanding to regain
the
shape.  But, I am also worried that the rust inside will continue to
expand, causing the cracks to reappear and further separations.
Anyone
have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jay