TR6

To: "British-Cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6
From: "Jack Gagnon" <bullitt@cybertours.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 19:54:31 -0400
I was looking at a 75 TR6 that is for sale today.

The car has been in storage for at least 10 years and only has 12,390 miles.

The body and frame are solid and rust free, but the paint and body are a bit
abused.  There are at least 2-3 dings in the hood , 2-3 dings in the
passenger door, , a 2-3 inch scrape/dent in a fender lip, multiple scratches
throughout etc.  The rear quarter and tail light were replaced due to an
accident when the car had 6000 miles around 1979.  The fender re-paint does
not match the rest of the car very well.  Someone was a bit over zealous
with the buffing wheel and has gone down to the primer in a few spots on the
hood.  The finish is pretty shiny otherwise.

The carbs were cleaned a few years ago and the guy messed up the temperature
compensator so the car will not idle when warm.

The top is ripped and needs replacement.

It has the original red-line tires in the rear that are a bit cracked, The
front tires were replaced with blackwalls.

The steel wheels were recently repainted and looked like they were pretty
rusty before the paint.  The trim rings are new because the old ones were
rusty.

The chrome bumpers are pretty well pitted and have bare spots beneath the
lights like they have been in the weather.  The guy said that the car was
stored inside, but the pitted bumpers, rust pits on the steering wheel tell
me otherwise at least for a period of time.

The carpets and seats are excellent except for a crack in the dash.

The stereo is not stock and has been replaced with a Jensen am/fm cassette
with speakers mounted the tranny hump/console.

The clutch slave cylinder (the owner says it was the master, but I saw the
new part beneath the car near the tranny) was just replaced.

They have a new exhaust that has not been installed.  The brake rotors are
rusty and need to be cut.

The guy wants over $12k for this car and I have to say I was a bit
disappointed in the condition of the car given the low miles.

I am a bit leery about what might go wrong with this car given how long it
has been sitting.

What types of failures are likely after sitting like this?  engine main
seals?  brake calipers? transmission seals? radiator?

I understand the low miles is pretty unique, but how much is that worth
given the overall condition of the car?

I have only looked at a few TR6's so far, how hard is it to find rust free
cars?

I think the car is worth considering, but I do not think it is worth the
money they are asking.  What is the lists opinion?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

bullitt@cybertours.com
http://www.cybertours.com/~bullitt