TR7 engine bearings - part deux

To: tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu, Triumphs@autox.team.net,
Subject: TR7 engine bearings - part deux
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 14:41:12 EDT
Followup to TR7 noise - engine bearings?

Ok, sounds like the noise I am hearing is definitely crank or rod bearings.
According to the manual I can replace those without taking out the engine.
I've looked at the oil pan underneath and it looks like in some places
someone used aquarium cement to seal it -- so who knows what else I'll find...

The good news is that I have 145 or 150 lbs of compression in each cylinder,
so the piston rings must be in pretty good shape.

So, some quick questions:

Is it standard practice to replace the thrust washers along with the bearings?

I assume that I will find the bearing size stamped on the bottom shells for
the crank and rods?

In the WWWedge archives I read an email from someone who claims that you
should not put oil on the back side of the bearings when assemblying them --
something about needing metal-to-metal contact for correct heat dissipation.
I thought that whole area was constantly soaked in oil when the engine is
running?

I assume I should do each bearing one at a time, so that the timing chain
tensioner doesn't take up the slack and make it impossible to get the
bearings installed?

While I've got the oil plan off, anything else I should look at replacing?

Finally, I have a serious leak somewhere near the oil pump and clutch slave
cylinder -- oil just pours down over those two parts.  Any idea where that
leak may be coming from?

As always, thanks.

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC