scions of lucas

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: scions of lucas
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 08:32:05 -0500
Hey, scions of Lucas, we are at least part of the word for the day.
Reproduced in whole, as to to at least preserve the spirit of the copyright:

==========

Summer's here! Time to turn your computer into a learning tool
with Merriam-Webster's Vocabulary Builder on CD-ROM
Click here!! - http://www.m-w.com/book/elecprod/vocabbdr.htm

The Word of the Day for June 24 is:

scion   \SIE-un\   (noun)
     1 : a detached living portion of a plant joined to a stock
in grafting and usually supplying solely aerial parts to a graft
    *2 : descendant, child

Example sentence:
     The scion of a famous family of circus performers, Anna
learned to ride standing on the back of a pony by age five.

Did you know?
     "Scion" grew from Germanic, stemming from roots related to
the Old High German word "chinan," meaning "to sprout" or "to
split open," and the Old English word "cinan," meaning "to gape."
When it first sprouted in English in the 13th century, "scion"
meant "a shoot or twig." That sense withered in horticultural
contexts, but the word branched out, adding the grafting-related
meaning we know today. The figurative sense, "descendant,"
blossomed later still. "Scion" is not your everyday,
garden-variety word, and you may find that your use of it
impresses others as the fruit of learning and cultivation.

*Indicates the sense illustrated in the example sentence.