Re: Lotus Elite question

To: "rod farnsworth" <farnsworthr@nucleus.com>
Subject: Re: Lotus Elite question
From: "Mark the Shark" <markie@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 21:29:00 -0400
I was just looking at a 76 TR7 that the owner claims he spent $10k
restoring.  Now I don't doubt him in the least, it's a wonderful car but
running thought the back of my mind was "why"?  He will lucky to get $2500
for the car, his highest offer so far is $2100.  Why would someone spend
$10k to restore a car that's worth $2500?  Most of us will never get our
money back on our "investments", we do it because we like the car.
Unfortunately I've seen many examples of cars that just don't have a market
and people have spent quite a sum restoring them.  I guess what I'm trying
to say is don't judge the car by the amount of money spent to restore it.
There still might not be a market.  I'm not a Lotus person and perhaps Allen
you should consult the Lotus email list on this one?  I would hate to see
him spend too much money for the car.

Now owning a car that has a Rover V8 (TR8) I can fully appreciate what that
engine can do turning none to quick car (TR7) into a real performer.

1981 TR8 DHC FI
Raleigh, NC