Re: Europa reassembly update

To: Daren_Stone@ccm.sc.intel.com (Daren Stone)
Subject: Re: Europa reassembly update
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 15:52:55 -0600 (CST)
Daren Stone writes >

> Daisy the Box Car (named by my wife due to the car's color

Is that the Lotus #7 Yellow?  Every time I mention painting mine that
color, which it wore when it left the factory, I am distracted by the
retching sounds emanating from my wife.

>     For those of you who've recently joined our program, on December
> 4th, 1994, I brought home ~ 95% of a 1970 Lotus Europa S2, whose most
> distinctive feature was that it was completely disassembled.

I don't think I have as much as 95% of mine, and I drove it home!

> * Rebuilt the rear crossmember that ties the top of the shocks together
>   using rectangular tubing rather than the stock flimsy U-channel

Lots of people do this, but nobody knows why.  I have never heard of one
failing.

> * welded hardened ground stainless steel thrust washers into the lower
>   control arms for more positive trunnion location

Huh?  If the bolts are tight, where are they going to go?

>     Additionally, much time was spent cleaning various pieces in the
> glass bead cabinet, making everything either ready for painting or
> reassembly.

Sure could use one of those.  Spending $100 to have someone else do my BWA
wheels really hurt.

> be there in the first place have been located and purchased, with the
> exception of the coolant swirl tank and the master cylinder. For the
> swirl tank I'm holding out for the real McCoy.

I will swear there is one for sale in LOTUS reMARQUE.  Of course, it
probably won't be chromed, like mine.  (OK, so the last owner but one was
a little goofy with the chrome.)

>     Call it heresy if you will, but I do not embrace the idea of
> originality strongly enough to shell out the big $$ the Europa M/C
> commands. So I welcome advice from those of you who have successfully
> adapted another M/C to your S2 Europa.

Put in double Tilton cylinders with a balance bar.  Easy for me to say.
It is not my money.  Knock wood, mine seems to work, so I am not currently
scrambling for a replacement.

> week, and was told all was in order and my new title, complete with VID
> that matches the ID plate in the front luggage compartment, will arrive
> in 4-6 weeks.

Although Minnesota is astonishingly slow on driver licenses, they issue
titles at an equally astonishing speed.  You would have that title in a
week here.  On the other hand, I just got my driver license renewal after
a THREE MONTH wait.

> Although it all went very smoothly, I must admit I breathed a sigh of
> relief on the way home.

I know how you feel.  As I rode the bus home with my never-need-renewal
Collector plates, I felt all warm inside.  Now if I could just figure out
where to mount the front one...

phil.ethier@stpaul.gov