Re: cleaning up a fender

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: cleaning up a fender
From: "Jeffrey J. Griglack" <jeff@wahoo.jjm.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 23:18:40 -0500
>I might be mistaken on this but if you are planning to reweld the
>fender using a wire feed welder set to spot weld you are going to have
>to drill holes in one of the panels anyway.  When I was re-doing my
>TR6 I also started by cutting the spot welds with a cutter being
>careful to cut the piece I was going to replace and then grinding the
>buttons off the piece to be reused. This was a pain. I soon relized
>that by doing this I ended up drilling holes in one of the pieces at
>the end anyway so that I could reweld them.  Therefore, an easier
>solution was to drill a hole through the spot welds on both the piece
>to be replaced and the piece to be saved and then use the hole in the
>salvaged piece to reweld the new panel.  Is it possible you could do
>the same thing with your fender?
>
>Kevin Strait

No, I was planning to rent a clamp-type spot welder unit (don't know
the technical name for it).  It is cheap enough to hire out any other
welding.  Besides, I haven't touched a welding unit (arc welder) since
I was 15 (17 years ago), and I wasn't that good at it then.  Better to
have a Pro do it and make sure it is right.

--
|Jeff Griglack                           | Well, you've heard of the         |
|New address:  jeff@wahoo.jjm.com        | information superhighway?  This is|