Canvas

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Canvas
From: "Einar Sj\evik" <einar@login.eunet.no>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 1995 17:39:17 +0100
Do someone know if it possible to dye the canvas used in my soft top?
If so, what dye do I use?
-
 I have a small  hole in each rear corner of the top. It is caused by
a too tight fit of a replaced rear window. This cause the rear corner
of the frame to press hard into the canvas from the inside.
-
 I will need only to replace the rear part of the top, as there is a
seam along the rear edge, where it starts sloping down. Now my problem
is that I looked at canvas (single sided) at the shop. They had two
rolls, both were supposed to be black according to the label, but in
my eyes one of them were very dark brown. The other one was black, but
just a few cm. was left on it. So I got a sample from each, and found
that they both were darker than my top. Not surprizing this, as the top
is 8 years old, and have faded although you could not see that unless
closely comparing with new canvas.
-
Can I use the "brown" (OK almost black). Then dye both the new and the
old black? If some of you have any experience on this, please pass it
on to me. And yes, I have considered a new one, but at GBP. 3000.-, NO!
-
Einar
(Email to Einar@ade.no is preferred.)