Re: A Few Questions...

To: "Himelfarb, Mike" <mike@sdm.shoppersdrugmart.ca>
Subject: Re: A Few Questions...
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 17:14:25 -0800 (PST)
On Fri, 27 Jan 1995, Himelfarb, Mike wrote:

> 2)      Seat belts.  As above, no one I've spoken to has 3 point
>         inertia reel belts for the beast... ideas?

The original Kangol ones are junk.  Use replacement Kangol belts from a
Series III XJ-6 (79.5-87).  We sold them at the junkyard to TR-6 owners
for $150 a pair, complete.  If you can't find a better price, call Rusty
at (206)935-0872.

> 3)      Windscreen frame.  I have to replace the crash pads all around
>         as the foam has disintegrated and the vinyl looks like
>         roadkill.  Problem, as I see it, is the windscreen frame must
>         be removed to remove the top pad.  The PO had some bodywork
>         done at some point and they welded a patch from the bottom of
>         the frame to the scuttle panel.  I managed to break the weld,
>         remove the nuts from the frame pins and loosen the bolt on
>         each side which is visible where the top of the doors meet the
>         fender.  The 3 bolts which are supposed to hold the tonneau
>         snaps on are not an issue.  After all this the damn thing
>         doesn't budge.  Ideas?

Retighten the bolt that holds the windscreen stud retention plate on, it
is only really for adjusting the angle of the frame itself.  As far as
the frame itself goes, there's only 5 fasteners holding it down, 2 nuts
and 3 bolts.  Sounds like you've got them all loose.  Assuming no more
bogus welding was done, wiggle the frame fore and aft with great force,
while lifting with ample heft.  Start on one side, and then move to the
other side.  Do a little bit of pulling on each side and gradually it
will lift off.  Do each side evenly as you're going, else it'll bind at
an angle.

Have fun Mike.
                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6