No Start!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: No Start!
From: Bob Hamilton <rhamilto@fox.nstn.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 95 10:07:48 PST
Good Morning!

Thomas Storey Stated:

Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 22:30:56 -0800
From: tomstory@slip.net (Thomas Story)
Subject: STILL no Start!

Let's just say that right about now I am ready to throw a large hammer
through the windshield...Scenario...1967 MkII, 1500 engine, Stromberg
Carb(single150cdse), brand new starter, brand new coil, new points,
condensor, plugs, wires, carb rebuilt...150 pounds of compression on all
four cylinders. I have set it to fire at no1 TDC by opening up the valve
cover, and looking at the no1 cylinder valves to see that they are all the
way open, and by looking in the plug hole to see the piston come up into
compression stroke. I checked the firing order by pulling all plugs and
turning the engine by hand...nice good spark, in the right order. I've
tried turning the distributor by hand while its turning over to see if I
could get it to catch...nothing.

        In the above quote you state:

        "I have set it to fire at no1 TDC by opening up the valve
cover, and looking at the no1 cylinder valves to see that they are all the
way open, and by looking in the plug hole to see the piston come up into
compression stroke."

        Actually, both valves should be *closed* when the piston is coming up
on the compression stroke. If they are both open as you are saying, the
timing is a way off somehow.

FWIW.

Regards,
Bob

Name: Bob Hamilton, Waverley, Nova Scotia, Canada
E-mail: Bob Hamilton <rhamilto@fox.nstn.ns.ca>
Date: 01/27/95 | 1953 Sunbeam Alpine MK I
Time: 10:07:48 | 1954 Sunbeam Talbot MK IIA, D.H. Coupe