Of Bimmers and Bond, James Bond

To: british-cars@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Of Bimmers and Bond, James Bond
From: Brian Willoughby <BAWILL01@UKCC.UKY.EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 95 17:12:56 EST
Hello, everybody, I've returned.  Just want to comment upon this debate over
James Bond and a BMW.  I've seen every Bond film at least 10 times (I loved
these films as a kid) and it is my observation that Bond was not issued a car
in every film.  Sometimes he stole whatever convient vehicle was nearby.  With
that in mind, here is a list of the films and the car (or cars) he drove in
each:

Dr. No (1962):  Sunbeam Alpine
>From Russia With Love (1963):  Early in film, Bond is seen with his Bentley; in
   Turkey he drives a 1-tonne Chevrolet flatbed truck
Goldfinger (1964):  The immortal Aston Martin DB5 makes its first appearance

Thunderball (1965):  The DB5 is used once more
You Only Live Twice (1967):  Watch this one closely; an editing mistake is
   made and Bond arrives at Mr. Henderson's driving Aki's Toyota 2000GT
On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969):  Aston Martin DBS
Diamonds Are Forever (1971):  Triumph Stag; Ford Mustang
Live And Let Die (1973):  Chevrolet Caprice (a CIA vehicle in the New York
   sequence); in "San Monique":  a 1960's Chevrolet Impala Convertible,
   Mini Moke
The Man With The Golden Gun (1974):  AMC AMX
The Spy Who Loved Me (1977):  Bond is issued a submersible Lotus Esprit

Moonraker (1979):  No car driven in this film to my memory
For Your Eyes Only (1981):  A red Lotus Esprit with the best burger protection
   I've ever seen, Citroen 2CV
Octopussy (1983):  Range Rover, a Ricksaw in India, Alfa Romeo GTV6
A View To A Kill (1985):  Ford LTD, American LaFrance fire truck, a Chevrolet
   Dump Truck
The Living Daylights (1987):  Aston Martin returns when Bond is issued a
   V8 Vantage Volante which through the magic of movies becomes a V8 Vantage,
   Land-Rover Series III, a heavily modified Land-Rover of some type near the
   end

License To Kill (1989):  I don't remember Bond driving anything of any
   consequence in this one

The following was made by another production firm than the above and I have
therefore listed it separately:

Never Say Never Again (1983):  Bond drives his Bentley once more, a motorcycle
    of some type (I don't know the manufacturer)

Anyhow, the English cars that Bond has driven were always issued to him by

Her Majesty's Secret Service;  the non-English cars were ones used out of
necessity in the field.  Apparently, provided 007 could, he would opt for
an English car given his druthers in the field as well.  I don't know about
the up-coming film, entitled "Goldeneye", though perhaps he steals this BMW
since a proper car is not available.

See you,
Brian
bawill01@ukcc.uky.edu