Re: Spit Starting Problems, Starting off on a 74 Midget

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spit Starting Problems, Starting off on a 74 Midget
From: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com (Gary Schneider)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 95 11:54:27 CST
Hi, new member contributing 2 c:
Tom Story wrote about his Spitfire distributor alignment:
>Like it's pointing to fire at number 3. The distibutor is not
>original for the engine (I believe)it's a Delco-Remy, with vacuum advance,
>and the coil appears to be 12V. So my question is, what do I do?. The
>engine spins freely and fast, and I'm getting gas and spark, but no
>start...Could the owner have installed the distributor drive gear out of
>alignment?

You bet. It's ever so much easier to install it wrong than right, the drive
gear has many teeth so odds are against you. Just position the crank so #1
cylinder is at TDC with valves closed, and point the rotor at the #1 wire.
Easy but tawdry way is rotate the plug wires on the cap (that's what the
former owner did: you put the wires back on where they should be, which is
now wrong) - the purist way is remove the distributor and put it back in
mesh so the rotor points where it should. That'll start it, then fine tune
the timing with a light.

Steve Smith wrote about his MG Midget engine rebuild:
> Does anyone have a suggestion as to whether or not I should take out the
>transmission while I'm at it?  The author recommends it but the idea of
>removing the whole gearbox kind of makes me nervous.

Believe me, it's a whole lot easier to take the whole engine/trans. unit
out. I got so good at it, I could have the whole ass'y hanging in about an
hour on my '68 Midget. The transmission stays in one piece and there's no
complicated reassembly, so there's nothing to fear. And it's much easier to
align the clutch and input shaft for reinstallation when they're out where
you can see them. The trans is light enough you can pick it up and mount to
the engine
without a hoist.

--
Gary Schneider, ext. 2443
Nicolet Instrument, 5225-4 Verona Road, Madison, WI 53711