TR6 frame repair

To: adoherty@mail.sas.upenn.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 frame repair
From: DANIELS@LMSBV3.TAMU.EDU (Lee Daniels, daniels@tamu.edu)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 13:33:12 -0600 (CST)
Adam Doherty, adoherty@mail.sas.upenn.edu writes:
>I have a TR 6 with about a 5 inch rust hole in the crossmember in front of
>the rear wheels, on both sides.  What should I do to repair this?

Adam -

My spare TR6 frame has been spoken for (by a local who won't have to ship
it), but your rust holes are common on every TR6 that was ever driven on
salted roads (like mine was in Iowa before I moved here.)

The Roadster Factory sells these frame pieces for about $55 each, but the
only *good* way to get them installed is to remove the body from the frame.
It is possible to disconnect the body from the frame and just raise the
back half slightly from the frame without too much grief.

However, I suspect that if you have 5-inch holes (!!!) in your frame that
your floors and sills might not take to kindly to being unbolted from the
frame...  ;-)

Lee M. Daniels   Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding   Texas A&M
 daniels@tamu.edu            (409) 845-3726          Fax (409) 845-9351