Re: Lucas coils

To: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu> (Return requested),
Subject: Re: Lucas coils
From: "JOERGER Mark D" <Mark.D.JOERGER@state.or.us>
Date: 20 Jan 95 11:01:29 -0700
On Thu, 19 Jan 1995, Bill and Heather Putnam wrote:

> With all of this discussion on what a ballast resistor does, does
> anyone know about the match between the inductance of the coil and
> capacitance of the condensor?  My situation is that I have an > older MG
that no longer has the original coil, but the Lucas

On Fri, 20 Jan 1995, Ray Gibbons wrote:

>It's likely you are, if your points are failing with a peak built up on
>one contact and a pit on the other.  Maybe it is possible to tell by which
>point has the peak whether the capacitance is too high or too low, but I
>don't know which way it goes.

Differing capacitance values will effect the degree of pitting, but won't
effect which point gets the pit and which the peak.  Greater capacitance
will decrease pitting, but will also lower coil efficiency by decreasing
the sharpness of the current cut-off when the points open.  Try increasing
capacitance just 'til pitting becomes acceptable.

P.S. - I'm drinking a lot of cough syrup these days and mistakenly reversed
current and voltage on my previous resistor/coil post.  Please ignore it.
I'm still on cough syrup, so if the above is looney please correct me.