Re: Lucas coil: different?

To: SDTilton@aol.com
Subject: Re: Lucas coil: different?
From: jerry@tr2.com (Jerome Kaidor)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 08:11:47 -0800 (PST)
SDTilton@aol.com wrote:

> Hey SOL mates,
>

> What's the difference between those aftermarket coils and the Lucas one?
>  They all came off TR-4's that I've had.  The only thing I can figure is that
> I remember some of them having external restors on the mounting brackets.
>  (which I did not include in today's coil swapping sessions)

*** If the coil came with an external resitor, you've GOT to use an external
resistor with it.  The resistor means that the coil is really a 6V coil.  Half
the car's battery voltage is dropped across the resistor.  For reasons that we
don't need to go into here, the resistor makes the coil "charge" faster.

                                    - Jerry Kaidor