Various TR6 Stuff

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Various TR6 Stuff
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 23:42:23 -0500 (EST)
Hi All,

Got the major external parts all yanked off the engine. Things look pretty
good so far.

Removed all of the head fasteners last night... surprise, the head is "stuck".
Seeing that it was about 12F temp. outside, and I have no heat in the garage, I
didn't spend too long trying to persuade the head. I'll do that on Thursday for
sure. Then it's valve job time.

I was reading the Kas Kastener TR6 Comp prep manual, and I've decided to to a
few job on the head while I have it off. I'm going to try to keep things
"reliable", so I won't be doing any radical work...just cleaning things up etc.

But, all this brought up some questions.

First, the Comp. Man. suggests removing material from the sides of the
combustion chamber to make them more round. The stock setup seems to have
pointed protrusions on each side of each cylinder. If you do this sort of mod.,
do you loose low power engine characteristics? They also suggest that the ports
should be 1.3 inches. I measured mine and they are right around that diameter.
Will anyone with TR head work experience care to comment on how much they
personally removed from one of these heads?

I'll be cleaning up the interface between the head and the intake and exhaust
manifold. I was thinking about getting the exhaust manifold ceramic coated (a
la Jag etc.) Anyone have any thoughts about this (is it worth it?)

Finally, I'll probably be doing an in place main/rod bearing replacement (e.g.
no machining). Anyone care to offer any suggestions or share any experience in
this regard? On that matter, where the heck to you buy plastiguage?

Oh well, off to bed. G'night all,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     | E-Mail: lang@isis.mit.edu