Re: taxes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: taxes
From: island@whidbey.net (Judith Winter)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 95 23:08:27 PST
>My wife was stopped one Saturday in our Morris just outside the base gates.She
>...wasn't speeding, she just happened to be in a car with a base decal. The
>next day, ... Same thing happened, ...way. Before we left, I told him
>that I thought that it was pretty poor relations, what with them sitting
>in the same location two days in a row, and pulling over the same car for
>no illegal activity. He really got my knickers in a twist!

I was pulled over for "failing to go through a yellow light."

(I was in a left-hand turning lane [left-hand-drive] with a clearly-yellow
light.  Had I proceeded to make the turn,there is no question but that the
light would have been red before I had cleared the intersection.  Actually,
seeing the cop car was a good reason to *not* race the light.)

Cop argued that by failing to go through the yellow light, I forced the
driver (tail-gaiting behind me) to jam on his brakes, which *could* have
caused an accident.  Nuh-unh.  I reminded him that if I had been
rear-ended, we would have been oblidged by law to ticket the car that hit
me.

Cop then conceeded that he pulled me over because he wanted to be a good
look at me (female, then probably about 20) and the car (P1800E, then new
and strange). BTW, I sold the car to my mechanic, as he saw it more than I
did anyway.

In connection,

Judith Winter
island@whidbey.net