3000 III off the mark.

To: Healey@OAKHILL.sps.mot.com
Subject: 3000 III off the mark.
From: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 12:20:33 -0500 (EST)
I had a terrible time getting any  1st gear speed out of my 64 3000. It was
fabulous in the highway, but pulling away from the lights in town it
was a dog. (for the car it is)
There were three items to address:

1.
It turned out that the rear carb was  not being kicked in until the throttle
was quite far down. That was easy. Then, with some improvment but not
what I would expect from a 3 litre six pot I took it to a Healey shop.

2.
He drove it around the block and came back grinning. "Well up to you
Chris" he said "'cause this is a riot when it ON THE CAM, but it's
been set up for the track." Turned out that it was set for power at around
35000 RPM.   So I left it and I just give it the goose when I pull
away. I can live with the cam for now.I must admit that in OD on the
 highway and 75MPH the beast is totally at ease with itself.

3.
The third problem that finally brought it to life even more was the old
"oil in the dashpot" thing. I changed to a thinner oil and kept it at
a good level. Sure sonugh that let the SU piston rise with less
vacuum and I get an even better pull away now. Some times it's the
simple things.

Just a few thought for what they're worth.

Christopher  Ball  triumph@io.org   Toronto, Ont. (416) 751-8300 Work
75 Spitfire // 64 Healey 3000 Mk. III // 59 TR3A //66 BSA Thunderbolt