My brakes, again

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: My brakes, again
From: Richard Mutt <houdini@access.digex.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 13:50:24 -0500 (EST)
        Many thanks to those who responded to my first query; here's my
latest request for net wisdom:
        My brakes are soft. '70 B. Pumping them brings pressure up to a
nice level.  Balance is good, stopping power still good--just a soft
petal.  It is not:  the physical linkage between petal and master
cylinder (all new bushings, etc. 2 years ago.)  excessive petal free play
(adjusted recently)  the flexible hoses  (replaced, same problem but at
slightly higher--but still soft--pressures)  the booster (there is none)
rear shoes out of adjustment (adjusted in june and re-checked in january)
        My sneaking suspicion is that the mastercylinder is going.  I
don't want to tear into that unless I'm sure, though.  Anyone?

Thanks,
Matt