Therapy for MGB mystery head

To: British-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Therapy for MGB mystery head
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 06 Jan 1995 09:25:12 -0600
At some point my MGB (18V672 block) underwent a head transplant.  The
one on it has no air injection ports, or bosses for same.  The casting
number is 12H1326.  The valves are dual spring but otherwise a mixed
bag--one has a rectangular groove (with a clip on the keepers), the
rest have circular grooves and no clip.  All of the valves have an
upside-down plastic cup (shroud?) on the stem just above the guides,
rather than the O-ring seals.  I believe the combustion chamber to be the
"pre-1970" shape, but it does not appear to be the earliest shape.
Any clues to the year of production?

The point is that the valves are pretty loose in the guides and I
observe some pitting on the seats (which are inserts).  As long as
it's off, probably should fix it.  The local machine shops of which I
am aware know small-block Chevys, but from previous experience I am
antsy about consigning it to their care.  Alternatives?

--Apple Hydraulic will rebuild for no-lead, but for $375, which seems
excessive.

--British Parts NW sells a head w/stainless valves outright for $365.
Are stainless valves really an advantage?

--Is it safe to assume that valves/seats in newly-rebuilt heads these
days are OK for no-lead?  Is this really a problem?

                        A. B. Bonds