Re: Jaguar XJS reliable?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Jaguar XJS reliable?
From: RLDesign@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 1995 14:29:34 -0500
Long message, skip if not interested in XJS laments!

> Is a Jaguar XJS reliable?

I just sold my 1984 HE six months ago. I had it for a year, paid $9000 (US)
and sold for $7500. It had 70K when I bought it, and 85K when I sold it.
Lovely car to drive, and nice looking, to boot. Mine had no rust. BRG/tan.
Yummy!

Over the course of the year, I spent almost $12,000 on "maintainence." That's
right, $12K! Mind, I took it to the Seattle area Jaguar guru (not the
dealer), who charged $55 an hour for labor. I did no mechanical repairs
myself (I was working 50-60 hours per week and had no time...open the bonnet
and you might have no time, either!). Also, I knew from the buyers inspection
that $6K or more of this was needed when I bought. Shoulda listened...

None of the repairs was of a major (ie, the car died) nature. In order:

* replaced lower rad. hose, $200
* offside door handle, $150
* front carpets, $300
* oil changes, 5 @ $100 ea. (12 qts castrol each time)
* rear tranny mount, $300
* 75K service, $800
* front shock bushings, $100
* charged AC, $150
* rebuilt front suspension & frnt. brake rotors, $1000
* serviced transmission, $600
* new exhaust bits to cure leak, $400
* replaced all leaking engine gaskets,
  including dangerous leak from rocker to
  cat. converter. Replaced timing chain.
  Rebuilt throttle bodies, distributor,
  smog system. All new rubber, incl. 56
  million millions of vacuum tubing. All
  new hoses and belts. New AC pump. Set
  valves. Rebuilt cruise control,
  --> $6500 (ouch!)
* new tires, $600
* shock bushings (again), $100
* gas tank and sundry fuel fittings, $dealer recall
* fuel evaporative canister, $130

Things which needed doing at time of sale:

* new steering rack, approx., $600
* tune up (every 10K or so), $500
* rear end rebuild (needed every 80K or so), $1500
* rear tranny mount (again), $300

I should also note that I averaged 12 MPG on super over my ownership, and
insurance was $1200/year. The new tires (original spec. Pirellis as opposed
to Dunlops) absolutely transformed the handling, whereas the front suspension
rebuild (which I did first) did not.

I should note, BTW, that my car was in pretty good condition, but probably
had not had the standard of care which I gave it.

Would I buy another? Yes, but I'd (a) look for a cherished machine with very,
very low miles (under 40K); (b) buy as late a car as I could get ('91 was
last year before sad-looking rear-end restyle), preferably something with
some warranty left; (c) have it inspected and believe every word of what the
mechanic told me.

That said, the car had an unbelievable turn of speed. It was just coming into
its own at 80 mph. Around town, the engine speed rarely got above 1500 rpm
(80 mph was 3000 rpm). The fastest speed I saw was on a trip to Vancouver,
B.C. where I saw 140 mph, absolutely rock solid stability. Sigh.

My current daily driver is a MGB-GT, which has cost me $125 in six months.
Good luck...

--Roger