Crosley Hot Shot

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Crosley Hot Shot
From: harrold@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU (Dick Harrold)
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 1995 07:16:31 -0500
Date: 04 JAN 95 17:07
From: TUSLER%MP050@ECCSA.Tredydev.Unisys.com
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest

>O.K. Any Mace has stumped me. Anyone know what a CoBra motor for a
>Crosley HotShot is?

Yup.  It's a *SHEET METAL* fabricated engine.  The original four-cylinder
postwar Crosley engine.  The outer case was COpper BRAzed together.  The

--- some text deleted ---

Gotta tell you this one....  Back when I was a young and wild punk in the
'50s, a friend bought a Crosley station wagon about the size of a shoe box.
 It had seen better days and was complete but not running.  The carb had
been giving trouble so we took it into my dad's shop and attempted to see
if we could fix it.  One thing led to another and soon we our main goal was
to see if we could get it to go - no matter what.

We removed the carb and I took one of those old brass blow torch outfits
that uses gasoline for fuel.  I pumped up the tank but didn't light the
torch.  We removed the bonnet of the Crosley and I positioned myself up
near the windscreen straddling the engine while my friend sat behind the
steering wheel.  I held onto something with one hand and pointed the torch
down at the Crosley manifold opening with the other.  I turned the
adjustment on the torch so that a thin stream of raw gasoline would squirt
into the opening.  We managed to get the Crosley started and had great fun
driving it all around the grounds.  Of course it was a very erratic ride,
sputtering, popping, jumping - but it ran!  Only some crazy kids could do
such a stupid thing and not get killed in the process.

Dick

Dick Harrold
HARROLD@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU
Integrated Technologies
Indiana University at Indianapolis (IUPUI)