Re: TR6 ring gear

To: flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: TR6 ring gear
From: jerry@tr2.com (Jerome Kaidor)
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 1994 08:17:14 -0800 (PST)
> Kevin Riggs wrote:
>
> > This is the 4th time I've had the transmission out of this car
>
> I just finished reinstalling my transmission for the fifth time.
>
> > and I'm just tired of it

**** Me too!  I've been driving the Clankster with a missing tooth
out of the first-gear countershaft for about a year now.  I think
I've had four transmissions in the thing.  The trouble has always
been that first gear.

   But now I'm ready to fix it right.  Got a known good transmission
to rebuild.  Got a *Brand New* countershaft.  Got a complete set of
the usual parts that one replaces.

   Time to get out the big circlip
pliers! BTW, does anybody else know the secret for removing the mainshaft
circlip with minimal fuss: you get a Dremel mototool and chuck on a little
teensy tiny grinding stone.  With which you grind a notch into the middle
of the circlip, carefully not touching anything else.  Then when you
get the pliers on it, the circlip just breaks in half and comes off.

  Hopefully, this will be the Last Transmission.  ( Yeh, right! Don't
throw away the old one, Dood!)

                                -  Jerry Kaidor