Re: Body solder

To: Michael Sharp <msharp@Synopsys.COM>
Subject: Re: Body solder
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 1994 13:30:43 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 21 Dec 1994, Michael Sharp wrote:

> I'm in the midst of a restoration project and I'm considering using body
>solder
> (now that I've finished a lot of hammer/dolly work).  Have any of you ever
> taken this approach?  My main concern is how to finish the opposite side of

I tried body solder on the seam where I welded a large patch into the rear
deck of my bugeye (someone had cut the panel back for better access to the
trunk!).  It was not a good experience.  The heat immediately caused the
large panel to buckle, and a little practice suggested to me that I needed
a lot of practice.  I gave up and used plastic filler, but the lead had
the last word--I failed to get all of the flux off the seam and it caused
the paint to blister along the seam.

Plastic body filler is easy to use, doesn't require heat, and does not
involve flux.  I strongly suspect that most of the body men who use lead
use it because they can, not because it has any really substantial
advantage over plastic filler.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910