A-H Timing

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: A-H Timing
From: Bob Spidell <spidell@hpcc01.corp.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 94 8:45:30 PST
On the subject of distributors, timing, etc:

The Benchley manual for my Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8 says the timing should
be 15 degrees BTDC @ 600 rpm.  My father, who's an expert mechanic but
more familiar with older American cars says that's way too high, that
that must be a typo.  Can anybody confirm or disaffirm this?  I also
have a mild performance cam installed, how can/should I adjust ignition
timing to get the most from the cam?  Should I adjust the timing to get
maximum (manifold) vacuum, or should I just advance the timing until
the engine pings under load and then retard it a little?

Any and all comments appreciated.

Regards,

Bob Spidell  (spidell@hpcc01.corp.hp.com)