Re: British Cars Digest #1487 Thu Dec 15 01:15:00 MST 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1487 Thu Dec 15 01:15:00 MST 1994
From: orin@infi.net (Orin B. Harding)
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 1994 21:23:18 -0500
------------------------------

>Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 12:37:58 -0500
>From: Dave Chu <davec@ECE.concordia.CA>
>Subject: Single ZS to Dual SU conversion
>

>I plan to replace my single ZS to a dual SU on my 78 Spitfire this winter.  I
>have the manifold and two SU from a 67 Spitfire.  I was looking over all the
>parts and notice that the dual set up don't have any vaccum outlet for the
>vaccum advance on the distributor.  Does that mean I have to get a mechanical
>distributor.  Has anyone done such a conversion before?  Any suggestions will
>be aprreciated.

Dave, I installed twin SU's on my '79 MGB which had one ZS and if there is
not a vacuum connection on your Spitfire manifold, just drill the "balance
pipe", between the two carbs, and thread 1/8 NPT.  You can then install a
1/8 NPT to 1/8 barb fitting to connect the vacuum advance.
Orin Harding - Greensboro, NC
('74 MGB-GT - '79 MGB Roadster - '95 3000GT, BRG of course!)