JC Whitless, etc

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: JC Whitless, etc
From: okane@usa.net (Olin Kane)
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 1994 13:33:25 -0700
Cant say that I'm a great fan of J.C. Whitney but I've been a customer of
theirs for probably 30+ years (they used to have a walk-in business in
Chicago called Warshaski's or something like that). I was doing business
with them when they filled Chapter 11 ten years or so ago. Lost a few bucks
on an order that they failed to fill. Got in line with the other creditors, etc.

Bottom line - I still do business with them. The biggest problem is that
most of their stuff is drop shipped directly from one of their thousands of
suppliers and if you get the wrong stuff, you play hell getting the mess
cleaned up. In general, they are no better or no worse than most other mail
order outfits.

On the subject of SU fuel pumps (electric). They are a low, low pressure
pump vs the high pressure pumps common on most modern cars. A modern generic
electric fuel pump will probably provide fuel at too high a pressure for SU
carbs. However, while recently visiting my local Auto Zone parts store, I
saw both a high and low pressure electric fuel pumps in blister packs for
about $30 each. So maybe one of these low pressure jobs would be a
reasonable substitute for a SU pump if $30 was more important than
originality. I wonder about positive ground however.
Olin Kane
okane@usa.net
Albuquerque