Oh Oh!, There's no Motor in the TR6!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Oh Oh!, There's no Motor in the TR6!
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 1994 11:35:45 -0500 (EST)
Hello,

Well, I'm only _2 weeks_ in arrears with B-C digests.

Last weekend was relatively productive. First, I arranged for a stable mate for
my TR6. It is another TR6 owned by a friend. The deal allowing this included my
being able to use a 3.5 HP 12 gal. air compressor and tools while the other TR6
was visiting.

So, I have temporary use of a compressor.

I have no idea why I have not obtained one of these tools before. Boy, are they
great, as I can do much more work with the air wrench, for instance, than I was
ever able to do before.

Sunday morning, temps in the low 60's (amazing for December in New England!) I
pulled my TR6 out and hosed it off...first bath for the TR6 since the NET
Lobster Tour in Sep., really! I then proceeded to take a brief journey around
the block, well, actually I drove around 15 miles. When I got back I drained
the fluids and then I removed the engine and TRansmission. In a way, I didn't
want to take the engine out, because it is running very well.

So far so good. It looks like taking that transmission out was a good idea. The
magnetic drain plug sort of looked like "Bill the Cat" from the Outland comic
strip with all of the ferrous metal attached to it. That's bad, I'll probably
be placing a big order for TRansmission parts from TRF in the next few weeks.

As for the engine, the rear seal was blowing about 1 Qt. per 150 to 300 miles
so something major was wrong there. Now I need to decide what other stuff to do
while it's out. One thing for sure, I'll be tearing it down over the next
couple of weeks and measuring all the parts for wear.

But here I sit, wondering about what other things I should do while the engine
is out. Should I paint the car again? And what about the front end rebuild.
Might as well do it while I can get at everything...

Could it be shipright's disease? Can Bob get it all back together _before_ the
good weather starts?

Stay tuned.

regards,
rml

Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     | E-Mail: lang@isis.mit.edu