Re: SU pumps

To: Wmrunner@aol.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SU pumps
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 94 08:50:59 -0800
In message <941205225324_6682204@aol.com>  writes:
> <somebody said>
> > I know this may irritate the "originalitynazis", but I want anyone on the
> list who really drives their car to take that SU pump and toss it as far as
> they  can and replace it with something that works reliably<
>
> If you stretch that logic a bit we would all be reading toyota/honda/mazda
> postings.  Why stop at fuel pumps?  My brother has a real nice GM electronic
> ignition/distributor drop in for Big Healeys.  Fires off immediately, low
> steady idle, no fouled spark plugs, no melted points on Ohio to Florida
> runs..........NO FUN.  Half the excitement of driving an LBC is wondering if
> you'll make it home.

snip

I was going to put an electric pump in the TR3, but the MG's electric pump
convinced me that it would be folly to replace a perfectly good mechanical pump
that almost always pumps some gas even in its failure mode.

> Of course I also don't understand why MG and Triumph folk would argue which
> is better since every one knows these are Marques you own only if you can't
> afford a Jaguar.

Right you are.  I have both a Triumph and an MG but I have yet to save up the
money for that XK120C that I dream of.  I would even settle for an XK140
drophead, but they are a bit out of my range as well.  Since I don't think the
newer Jags are worth the effort to own, I guess I'll just have to hang in the
with my Triumph/MG schism untill such time as I come into the money to afford
one of the good Jags.

> Bill Ruof

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards