Another roadworthy '250

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Another roadworthy '250
From: dthorp@fnoc.navy.mil (Don Thorp)
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 94 17:49:16 GMT
My rusting hulk has become a roadworthy daily driver, weather
permitting.  This originally yellow, now blue-something, tr250
has gone from 10 years in a barn to the highway.  It's not a
pretty site, but is as much fun to drive as anticipated.

I concentrated on just making it safe: tie rod ends, lower
steering knuckle, brakes and gas line leaks.  I also did
the head (new valves, not the hardened type, springs) and
rebuilt the carbs.

After it passed smog (1%) and was licensed for California ($48), it
immediately started running badly.  If it wasn't fully choked, it
wouldn't idle.  I'd reset the carbs (ZS 175cdse) a little richer and
it would run fine for a few minutes then fail.  It looked like
the firewall carb was failing.  It sometimes was dripping gas,
but that didn't really explain the symptom.  The big problem
was a leaky manifold gasket.  It was a too-thin paper gasket
from a Head Gasket Set from M*ss.  Replacing that helped
and made finding the "sinker" in the carb much easier to
diagnose.  Replacing the float with one that didn't have a hole
in it solver that problem.  I now have two carbs and 6 cylinders.

This was spend-the-minimum plan, drive it for awhile and see
if I should spend more later.

Currently it leaks at the pinion seal at the rear end and possibly
the timing cover.  Also, there appears to be 4 welds for
supporting the mount points for the differential.  One of
those is broke.  It sounds just like u-joints going.

Worse, there is a racketball ball-sized rust hole in the frame
by the left rear.  Does it make sense to weld a piece of
steel across this member?

--
Don Thorp                                       djt@craywr.cray.com
Cray Research, Inc.                             dthorp@fnoc.navy.mil