Re: Mini Quote

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mini Quote
From: RicJohnson@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 1994 18:38:50 -0500
On 11/23 Ray Whitley ended a message with the following quote:

"If God had intended Minis to be that fast, He'd've given 'em bigger wheels."
                                -Mick Standing

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Mr. Standing, but I believe proper credit
for this thought should be given to British cartoonist Russell Brockbank.
 Some 25 years ago when I bought my '62 Morris Cooper the only book on Minis
then available was one entitled "The Mini Story" which ended each chapter
with one of Mr. Brockbank's cartoons.  I vividly remember the one which
pictured two staid English businessman types (w/ bowlers and umbrellas)
standing by a curb (kerb) as a Mini flew by at an obviously prodigious rate.
The caption quoted one of them remarking "If the Good Lord had meant cars
that small to go 100 mph He would have given them larger wheels!".  In fact,
I enjoyed it so much that I photocopied it and it remained on display on the
bulletin board in the Parts Dep't. of our local B/L dealer for many years to
follow. (Where I had MANY occasions to re-read it!)  D**n I wish I knew who
borrowed that book and didn't return it to me!

Ric Johnson