V-8 Spit (Was Re: Mohair tops)

To: meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu
Subject: V-8 Spit (Was Re: Mohair tops)
From: drabik%solaris@solaris.mirc.gatech.edu (Timothy J. Drabik)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 94 12:11:24 EST
Greg,

> Tim,
>       Is this the monster spit with the Lexus V-8 in it?  How's that coming?
>

>               Greg
>                             Greg Meboe     meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu
>                           Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
>                           Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
>                           '67 Spit-6   '74 TR-6

Yup, that's the one.  I'm afraid the V-8 is still swinging from an I-beam
in the basement.  I just want to have a convertible top on my (still quite
ordinary) Spit again.  Moss Europe used to advertise "Mohair" tops [quotes
because of replies I received regarding nuances of denotation :)], that
have a cloth texture, but--unlike duck--last without fading, and are similar
to the material used on BMWs and new Jags.  I ordered one of these a year
and a half ago and Moss had problems with the supplier, so I never got it.

However, progress on the car is not zero, although not very tangible.
I have measured the dowel and bolt locations on the rear block face with
respect to the crank axis, to try to find a suitable bellhousing (BH) fit.
An adaptor plate (also used for mounting) between block and BH will make
that a reasonable problem.  So far, I'm looking at B-W T5 and Getrag (BMW)
gearboxes.

I have discovered that the Lexus V-8 is being raced in at least two places:
by one of the World Sports Car (WSC) teams, and in a Sard test mule.  This means
that I may not have to develop a dry sump pan, and also that there might
be some other interesting components available for the motor.
I would be interested to find out exactly who is campaigning this motor.

        Regards,
        Tim