Ready for Rubber Room ('73 MGB Saga Continues)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Ready for Rubber Room ('73 MGB Saga Continues)
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 09:56:54 +0000
Well, another weekend has passed.  And, that means, I have another neato
problem with the B.

We fixed the alternator, BTW, it was a bad diode.

NOW I have the following:  Car was running GREAT (considering it needs a
rebuild, has low compression, etc).  I rounded a corner and started
accellerating.  Allofasuddenlike  clang-clang-clang-clang and a distinct
drop in power.

I pull off the road and inspect...nothing hanging loose... noise occurs
at idle as well as under load... I pull the valve cover... all the
rockers go up and down...  Valve lash on #1 is much looser than 0.015, so
I tightened it back to spec.  No joy..

I do notice that 1) The noise seems to be coming from toward the front of
the engine, and 2) the rod on #1 valve is rotating each time it lifts,
unlike the other 7.

I ran it long enough to pull across the street into a parking lot.

Have I bent a rod?  What do I do now?  Is disaster supposed to happen
every week?  And what about Naomi?

John M. Trindle     | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB E Stock     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
"Remember, no matter where you go.... there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai"