Re: Chrome vs Stainless spokes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Chrome vs Stainless spokes
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 10:28:28 -0500
As Chip sez, chrome spokes are to be avoided because of real possibility of
hydrogen embrittlement taking place in the steel during the plating process.
 Eliminating it afterward is a sometime thing unless the process is very
carefully controlled. If a plater is willing to take your whole wheel and
plate it, you are already in trouble.  Have a good wheel shop restring with
stainless spokes while chroming the hub and rim. It could be cheaper just to
buy new Dayton chrome wheels.

The hydrogen problem is why nothing that carries high stress should be chrome
plated.....I wonder how long the chrome plated front axle of a local TC will
last before the king pin eyes break out....The good part is the guy only uses
the car to travel to car displays.

while on the Trailering thread, for Bay Area SOL'ers, I have a single axle
trailer that was designed to carry an Aston that I would like to sell-cheap.
Cheers, Terry