Re: Canada to USA regs

To: TATERRY@aol.com
Subject: Re: Canada to USA regs
From: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 1994 04:04:29 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 12 Nov 1994 TATERRY@aol.com wrote:

> A friend up the street is preparing to bring an Austin Healy 3000 into Calif
> from Canada.  Has some one done this and could they advise the duty,
> paperwork required etc.  I assume since it is pre 1965, there will be no
> problem registering it in Calif.....

Your local U.S. Customs office can advise you about what paperwork is
necessary to import the car into the U.S., and the California Department
of Motor Vehicles can tell you what you'll need to register it in
California.

I've never brought a car in from Canada, but imported several T-Type and
Y-Type MGs from the UK a number of years ago.  Biggest problem I had was
getting enough paperwork to satisfy the Maryland Motor Vehicle
Administration that I was legal owner of the cars.  They never could
understand that the old-style British Ministry of Transport logbook was
the equivalent of our certificate of title, and that the Brits didn't
require a notarized bill of sale to transfer ownership.  Caused me all
kinds of headaches...

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)
feold@umd5.umd.edu