Waxoil

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Cars Network)
Subject: Waxoil
From: andrew@server.uwindsor.ca (Templer Andrew)
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 94 15:10:44 EST
Ed Luce asks about waxoil rust preventative:

As requested, I am responding to him, but thought it was an interesting
enough topic to cover the network.
As far as I know, in Canada, Waxoil is one of the major aftermarket
oil/silicone based rust preventatives (like Oilgard, but unlike Ziebart,
which is typically the heavier bitumen-type compound).
I swear by Oilgard (the one I've used for almost 15 years), mostly
because it is repeated annually (initially every 6 months) and so it
gives one a chance of actually checking out what is happening.
I have used it since new on my rustbucket of a 80 Ford Fairmont which is
used all year in heavily winter-salted Windsor.  Only now starting to
have some leaking through of rust.  Also have my precious Britcar babies
oilgarded just prior to storage.  Only major disadvantage - underneath is
oily - so car would not pass the mirror and lights concourse test, mind
you, can't really notice at the engine endd!!

Any other experiences of rust proofing?  Question directed at other poor
sods who must earn their keep in the rusty/frozen north.

Andrew Templer