Will's TD questions

To: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Will's TD questions
From: Doug Phillips <Douglas.W.Phillips@williams.edu>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 1994 08:43:09 -0400 (EDT)
Will:

I echo Chip Old's sentiments on TD ownership. I live in the Berkshire mountains
of N.W. Massachusetts and the factory rear ratio is ideal for pulling our big
hills -- but not for flat interstates. I find the suspension/steering/brakes
more than adequate, and in fact I value their predictablity. I'm a wimp - I
drive it only on sunny days, never in the rain. My car is not a driver, I keep
it for personal enjoyment and car shows. TD's are also relatively easy to work
on, and if cared for, they are reliable. I just ended the second season of
owning my '52, and aside from sending out the S.U.'s for a rebuild (the PO's
restorer rebuilt them improperly) my car is trouble-free. I wouldn't trade it
for any other LBC - I like the classic T roadster styling (OK - maybe someday
I'll trade up to a Cobra, after putting the kids through college...)

I don't know much about current TD prices, but I'd be happy to send you a copy
of the classified section of the latest TS0 ("The Sacred Octagon" - the
magazine published for T owners by the New England T Register).

Oh, and don't use straight 30 weight oil in the crankcase (thanks again Chip
for your good advice on this - I've changed over to 10W30 detergent).

                -Doug

* Doug Phillips (Douglas.W.Phillips@Williams.edu)/Williamstown, MA/ '52 MG TD *