Re: Colortune

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Colortune
From: Jim Fink <hershfld@email.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 1994 11:18:02 -0500 (EST)
Yup its neat...BUT...
Yuup Thares a Faaire in thaere.......

I worked with my colortune extensively with two MGB's in vastly differing
states of "newnwess", one a new engine w/ rebuilt carbs and all
emmissions connected, the '71B and the other the BEATER with an old 92K
mile engine and the newer SU carbs...from a '73.. 18v6....engine and no
emmisions active, and all hole plugged etc...

Well after following judiciously the instructions and then running the
cars they both ended up way too lean.....virtually impossible to start
eand get her running in less than 20:00minutes on a cold day without
Fart,Pop Spit etc.....

So I did get them evenly balanced, and evenly lean though....
So afterwards I opened up the mixture on both cars...MANY MANY flats, and
MANY MANY turns of the little screw...both types of carbs.. here....

and finally got them rich enough to run.....now I have backed off a turn
or two and been watching my plugs for color.......it is easier....but the
colortune certainly is FUN.....For me though the flame needed to be just
into the yellow to be correct...blue flame was way lean....

Does this match other colortune experiences......?

Jim Fink
'69 MGB (Old Worn Out and daily drivennnn)
'71 MGB (New, Not Worn Out and should be driven more often)