TR6 wiper switch

To: mike@twinpeaks.prc.com
Subject: TR6 wiper switch
From: "Kevin A. Strait" <strai001@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 94 12:21:17 -0500
>learn that the wiper switch (turn, as opposed to rocker) is no longer
>available!

>Does anyone know of a source for these switches, a good used supplier, or
>how the switch is wired internally?  I imagine that I could use one of the
>earlier rocker switches, but then I'd have to cut the existing dashboard
>hole to the size and shape of the headlight switch.

>Any ideas?

I just installed a new switch in my 70 TR6.  It was a Lucas switch that is
available from TRF.  For it to fit you need to file the metal slot in the
support behind the wood to a larger size, the actual wood dashboard requires no
change as it's slot is already the correct size.  Then you need to remove the
chrome finish on the trim of the switch to make it black plastic like the
original switch.  I used Ethyl Acetate and it just wipes off, TRF also suggests
chrome polish and rubbing.  The result is a switch that is identical in
appearance to the original and is a lot more solid.  Total time involved is
about 1.5 hr.  Good luck

Kevin Strait