Re: Add Fizz to Stripping

To: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Add Fizz to Stripping
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 1994 12:40:08 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 1 Nov 1994, Roland Dudley wrote:

> > Now someone has discovered that simple bicarbonate of soda
> > sprayed through a pressure jet washer takes the paint off in
> > very little time (1 square meter in 3 minutes). The bicarb. is
> > injected into the water and acts as a mild abrasive to loosen the
> > paint, so the article says.
>
> I saw a reference to this method on the Sunbeam Tiger list.  I would
> still think this could be a problem on an aluminum bodied car.  I've
> seen what high pressure water can do to soft wood.  I suspect aircraft
> skin has better support and is made of a harder alloy.  Interesting
> idea though.

The alloy may be the same.  At the time your car was built, weren't the
english still hammering cars out of bits of aluminium from the wings of
downed aircraft?  As you strip your car, watch for "no step" stencils.

Of course, there's always the possibility of a chemical reaction, in
which the hot NaHCO3 solution reacts with the aluminum, turning Roland's
Snake into a sort of Roland's Rolaid.

At least the Rolaid transformation should eliminate the snake's gas
problems.

Ray Gibbons