RE: starter woes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: starter woes
From: Rick Colombo <COLOMBO@fndcd.fnal.gov>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 1994 9:11:54 -0600 (CST)
>Can anybody tell me what might be going on in my '71 Midget? When I turn
>the ignition key too fast to start then I just hear a short noise and the
>power is gone. All dead. After some minutes it comes back to life and I
>can try it again,

I've had this problem twice (total loss of power, nothing worked) and both
times turned out to be bad cables at the battery.  I replaced the ground
cable the first time and the positive cable (oh what fun ;-) the second
time.

>Do I have a dying starter ? This morning I just kept the starter button
>dpressed for about 20 seconds, opened the hood, and felt that the
>starter was warm, but still did not have the "guts" to turn the engine
>over.

This sounds different, is it actually turning over?  If not, and it's
getting hot, then is sounds like your starter has an internal short.

    _/      _/       _/    _/    _/_/_/    _/_/_/    colombo@fnal.gov