mysterious mixtures

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british cars list)
Subject: mysterious mixtures
From: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies)
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 1994 18:00:31 +0000 (GMT)
hi

My TR4 tends to foul its plugs with the well known sooty mixture; I've
gradually leaned the mixture down over a long period until I got
to the point whereby the car just wouldnt pull at all. The engine runs
just fine & happily starts every time. I'm using unleaded fuel as the
engine got a head rebuild & hardened valve seats a couple of years ago.

I can get the power back by richening the mix a tad, but have
to clean the plugs every few hundred miles. The carbs are SUs and
respond to fiddling exactly as per the book, idle is about 900, ignition
is bit retarded to alleviate pinking/pinging.

So, brave Scions, are "weaker needles" the solution?

Regards, Adrian & TR4
        asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk