TR-3

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-3
From: Doug Phillips <Douglas.W.Phillips@williams.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 1994 08:40:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:   ADMIN::PHILLIPS     "Doug Phillips" 31-OCT-1994 08:37:36.79
To:     IN%"lesdnyd@ccmail.monsanto.com",IN%"rg03@albnydh2.bitnet",
        IN%"amace@unix2.nysed.gov",IN%"gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com"
CC:     PHILLIPS
Subj:   TR-3

Dear Larry, Rik, Andy and Gerry:

    Each of you responded to me directly expressing an interest in the TR-3, so
I'll respond directly to each of you with the results of my look at the car. I
visited the car yesterday for about 15 minutes, so these comments are best
viewed as "preliminary."

    The car is sunk in the dirt down to the floor plan, so I could not see the
frame. It's stored in a pole barn that is open to the weather on 3 sides, and
has been sitting for probably 10 years.

    The good news is that the car is all there, and I couldn't find major
rust. The floor pan and sills appear solid, there's no body damage and I found
no evidence of bondo. The fenders are solid. Wire wheels are intact, but I
couldn't check the splines. The interior and top are shot, but the top bows are
there. The hinges on the bonnet are broken. The dash need serious help, but all
instruments are intact. The car was painted (badly) BRG over the original,
which appeared to be "robin's egg blue."

    When I first approached the car I almost turned around and walked away -
from 20 feet away it looked like a parts car, at best. But on closer inspection
I was less pessimistic. The motor looked complete and the tub is almost rust
free. A good candidate for restoration, IMHO. Sorry Andy - I forgot to get the
numbers from the firewall.

    My wife saw the car with me and reminded me that in 4 weeks my paternal
responsibilities will double with the arrival of our second child. My sense
is that I'd better just stay with the TD, even though I'd love the TR-3
project. So I'll leave it up to the four of you to decide who gets it...I'll
pass, even if it goes for a few hundred dollars.

    I don't know what the price of the car will be, since the owner's son
was the only one at home when I visited. I have the owner's phone number and
will try to contact him to see what he'll take for the car. My sense is
that it would be best to not to get into a bidding war for the car. If you're
interested, call me at home tonight or tomorrow (413 458-8418). I'll post a
copy of this mail to the list in case I missed anyone with this e-mail.

    I'd like to see this little green toad find a good home!

                        -Doug

(ps - my usual commission is one six pack of good british ale. Also, a friend
and fellow club member here in town has a truck with a car trailer. We can
arrange for transporting the car -- locally! -- if needed.)