Re: Rover 2000 TC Wire Wheels

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rover 2000 TC Wire Wheels
From: vernk@carver.DataFlux.BC.CA (Vern Klukas)
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 1994 21:47:23 -0800
Brian Willoughby askes about:
>Rover 2000 TC Wire Wheels
>
>Fellow SOL subscribers:  One of the cars I'm wanting to acquire when I am
>finished with graduate school is a Rover P6 2000 TC.  This was, of course,
>the twin S.U. version of the regular old 2000.  Most of these cars came
>equipped with ugly wheel covers shared with the base model, or nicer and
>much more attractive Rostyles which appear to the same as those installed on
>later MGBs.  However, the really decked out TC's could be ordered with
>particularly elegant wire wheels.  Does anyone know if these wheels were
>shared with any other British cars of the period?  If they were, will the
>hubs and knock-offs from that car work on the P6?  You see, I figure I can
>find a TC, though it probably will not have the wires.  If the wheel gear
>from another car can be substituted, I can have my future TC look as desired
>
>with a little work.  I'm counting on you guys.  The already beautiful P6
>just looks even more elegant with the wires.  Prince Charles' P6 was thusly
>equipped, though I know that us commoners could order the wires, too.  Sadly,
>few people did and even fewer examples still exist today.  The only problem
>is those quirky inboard mounted rear Girling discs brakes.  Most other cars
>had outboard brakes, though I don't know whether this means anything to
>sharing of parts with other cars.  Your knowledge and suggestions please.

Well Brian, first I gotta say I think the "ugly" wheel covers look better
than the Rostyles, but that's another nit entirely. While I have no doubt
that the wires themselves are common to some other British makes (in
particular, MGB), the hubs will not be. And that will be the problem.
Perhaps some of the SOL'ers on the other side of the pond could look for
you, but I think you will be faced with a problem tring to chase a set
down. The rear hubs will be a real problem, due to the design of the P6
rear wheel hubs. I don't think (checks manuals here), yes I'm sure, that
you couldn't even adapt a set of MGB rear splines without major expense. If
I were you, I would start looking at alloy wheels. There are many thousands
available now, and I think that some would look real good on a 2000. BTY,
on a stock 3500S rim you can fit 215/60-14s under the wheel wells. One of
the problems with finding alloys is that the P6 bolt pattern is 5x5 (5 lugs
on a 5" circle), which is very rare in a 14" rim :-(. So go to a 15" rim
with a trick set of 215/55s. Just my opin, of course.

One of the reasons very few purchased wires was that over here they were a
450$ option. Doesn't sound like much, eh. But consider that the whole car
(1969) cost less than 3500$. 13% more, just for wires? Pretty steep.

And speaking of decked out, try and get one (when you buy) with the trunk
mount for the spare tire, and air conditioning, and the factory sunroof
(I've only seen one, it's in the shed ;-)), and the rear seat reading lamps
mounted in the back of the front headrests (also in the shed ;-)). Get one
with all that, and I'll come and visit ya for sure.

yers,
Vern

PS I have seen one P6 with minilites. It looked real good, and that would
be very period for the car.

Vern Klukas                                       I'm a little teapot
vernk@carver.dataflux.bc.ca or                    Short and...
ug141@freenet.victoria.bc.ca or
inkspot@carver.dataflux.bc.ca