RE: MGA Chassis/Body

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MGA Chassis/Body
From: "Alan Legerlotz. Mobile Wireless Applications. dtn 381-2404" <legerlotz@gigi32.enet.dec.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 94 06:17:53 EDT
Gary writes:

>>       I'm currently in the middle of a restoration
>>    job of an MGA '60 roadster. I'm at the point where
>>    I need to decide if I want to take the body off or
>>    not.
>>       My questions are...    - has anyone reading this
>>                                ever pulled off a MGA body?
>>
>>       The usual stuff I guess. Can two people do it. Was
>>     it very tough to store...etc.

Has anyone?  Who hasn't??  Its a simple job that should take you a couple
hours.
In actuality, it will probably take you an entire day or weekend.

All kidding aside, its a straight forward job.  You remove the fuel tank and
all
bolts and fasteners as described in the Factory workshop manual; I assume you
have a copy, if you don't you should buy one.  If nothing else, the some of the
text can double as a joke book (things like "Whist grasping the <insert oddly
named part>, gently prise away the fitting clip").

The body, if the sills are not sound, will fold in half when lifted.  I'm sure
you've heard this a million times, so I'm not going to go into it alot.  I
would
advise you, however, to fit some sort of strengthener to the top of the cockpit
- regardless of sill condition.  It doesn't take much time, but keeps the body
from folding up.

You can lift the body with 2 people when its free from the frame, but to
actually free it from the frame (comfortably) takes 4 people.  The body has
probably never been taken off, so its been there for almost 40 years.  The
gaskets, grease, and rust all act like glue as you lift.  It may take a few
tries, but it will come loose.

Be sure to remember that the steering column is bolted to the body, I had a
bear
of a time removing my column, because of where I braced the car.  If you brace
it properly, you can just unbolt the column, but leave it together.  I had to
split my column at the U-joint.

-Al
1957 MGA Roadster (in a million peices).