Land-Rovers (still)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (Scions of LUCAS)
Subject: Land-Rovers (still)
From: dwebb@waite.adelaide.edu.au (Daryl Webb)
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 1994 15:02:19 +0930 (CST)
Like Granville its >Lurk-mode off for me to defend the honour of our beloved
Land-rover no less.  Looks like TerriAnn needs all the help she can get!

Whilst I will admit that a Land-Rover at speed is a trifle noisy, the ride is
much better than other vehicles of a similar nature.  Go for a ride in an
Un-modified Land-Cruiser of Nissan Patrol with leaf springs.  On the
bitumen/tar the two are about the same but on rough dirt roads the Land-rover
is streaks ahead.  On rough tracks point to point times in old Land-rovers
are as good or better than many of the more modern vehicles.

I will also conceed that the "rover-type" rear axle of the pre-series III's
is fragile.  but so is the early 4sp Land-cruiser transfer case.   I'd rather
blow an axle that I can fix than a transfer case that I cant.  ( of course
I'd rather not blow anything... That why I've got a stage I (series III V8)

As for lang distance travelling, well the stage I has done over 200,000 K in
the last 6 years, 1000 + km (600+ mile) Days are not uncommon (mind you they
are not common either).  If you want to tour long distances in and old Landy
get an Overdrive, they help more with the noise that anything else.

Granvile.  I've seen 3.5 rover V8's  (215 buick's)  in series Landys'
They are a bit hard on the G/box-transfer-case if not used carefully.   I
think Mark's 4x4  (OZ)  makes an adapter.  (The address has been posted on
LRO@team.net, but I could find it if you have lots of time :-)
A Champ ??  You are a sick puppy arent you.....  :-)

Go on TerriAnn throw Ray to the Crazy Canucks on LRO.  Though for his sake
perhaps you'd better conceal his identity!

Cheers all
--

  Daryl Webb   (dwebb@waite.adelaide.edu.au)