Re: GT-6 Overdrives that are goofed up.

To: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: Re: GT-6 Overdrives that are goofed up.
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 13:49:08 PDT
What I do? I stop using the OD until it cools off; having the OD clutch
slide around when you mash the pedal is the worst possible thing for
the clutch. Replacing them is a nuisance. Even with new O-rings and all
tolerances to spec, I have this problem. I'm considering building some
sort of venting arrangement to get fresh air to the gearbox. I worry
about doing it so there isn't thermal imbalance - one side too cold -
leading to material damage. It's a concern when venting brakes, but
those temps are lots higher.

Our Ferrari has an undertray that incorporates a cool arrangement - it
covers from the bellhousing back to just before the diff, and has ducts
front and rear that grab (and release) air out of the stream going
under the car. I thought I might build something like that. My first
idea was to run a vent hose from the side of the radiator through the
engine compartment down to the gearbox, but it seems really clumsy.

Do you have the stock GT6 exhaust? One of the stupid things about it is
that the pipe wanders under the gearbox, thus heating and thinning the
oil. I did away with that as soon as I could; now the pipe just goes
down the passenger side of the box.

Didn't think of using STP - though I'd consider it. Did you also have
the problem of slow engagement, even when cold? I can count 3,
sometimes. Did the STP help that?